Close Menu
East LA News
  • Home
  • East Los Angeles
    • Health
    • Politics
      • US Senate News
    • Crime
      • LAPD News
      • LASO News
  • East LA Media
    • Chicano Power TV
    • East LA TV
    • Pachuco TV
    • Zoot Suit TV
    • Flokrico TV
    • Blaze It TV
    • East LA Radio.FM
    • Mariachis TV
    • Imapala For Sale
    • Chicano TV | Chicana TV
    • Chicano PhD
    • Chicano Comedy
  • Local News
  • Southern California
  • Other News
    • On The Tira News
    • LA Times
    • LA Weekly
  • Rehab
    • Discharge TV
    • Probation TV
    • Lifer TV
    • Parolee TV
  • Chicano Power TV
  • Contact Us
    • Advertise Here
    • Submit News
What's Hot

John Abravanel Berdugo

August 21, 2025

Gabriel Ricardez (GMONEY)

August 20, 2025

Genissa Reyes (Queen G)

August 20, 2025
Advertisment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Ad
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
East LA NewsEast LA News
Wednesday, February 18
  • Home
  • East Los Angeles
    • Health
    • Politics
      • US Senate News
    • Crime
      • LAPD News
      • LASO News
  • East LA Media
    • Chicano Power TV
    • East LA TV
    • Pachuco TV
    • Zoot Suit TV
    • Flokrico TV
    • Blaze It TV
    • East LA Radio.FM
    • Mariachis TV
    • Imapala For Sale
    • Chicano TV | Chicana TV
    • Chicano PhD
    • Chicano Comedy
  • Local News
  • Southern California
  • Other News
    • On The Tira News
    • LA Times
    • LA Weekly
  • Rehab
    • Discharge TV
    • Probation TV
    • Lifer TV
    • Parolee TV
  • Chicano Power TV
  • Contact Us
    • Advertise Here
    • Submit News
East LA News
Home»LA Times

Three drug overdose at Los Padrinos Juvenile Hall

By April 12, 2025 LA Times No Comments4 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

[ad_1]

The three young people suffered a drug overdose at the Rospadrino boys hall in Downey on Friday. This is the latest scandal at a plagued facility that was to close last year after the state’s supervisory agency determined it was “inappropriate” to house the boy.

The youth were taken to a local hospital for “medical assessment and treatment related to possible substance-related cases,” according to a statement issued by the LA County Probation Department. All three young people were then returned to the facility, according to Vicky Waters, communications director for the probation department.

According to three sources with knowledge about the situation in Rospadrino, a large amount of Xanax was found in the hall prior to the overdose. Narcan, a rapid treatment that could reverse the effects of opioid overdose, unfolded during the incident on Friday, two sources said. The source spoke on condition of anonymity, fearing retaliation.

Waters did not immediately answer questions about Xanax’s recovery or Narcan use.

“The department is investigating yesterday’s incidents with local law enforcement partners, including the introduction of contraband to the facilities,” she said.

Jerod Gunsberg, a defense attorney representing one of the victims of the overdose, said his client was determined to be unconscious in the hall one day on Friday.

“I spoke to my client’s mother and she was contacted by probation yesterday that he was found to not respond,” Gunsburg said. “They took him to the hospital. He was in the hospital for a while. He is now back in Los Padrinos’ medical unit.”

The department has banned visitors from coming to Los Padrinos over the weekend. A department spokesperson could not say how the drug entered the facility, but an investigation is underway.

Gunsburg said his client’s mother was not allowed to speak to his son. He accused the probation department of running a “black site” in Los Padrinos, demanding that civil servants communicate more clearly with the families of overdose victims and their lawyers.

“In spite of my best efforts, I was unable to contact anyone from Los Padrino or probation,” he said. “If someone on probation is going to read this, I can easily find it. They know where to find me. So call me.”

Waters said the department must cancel facility-wide visits over the weekend and limit youth movements across the facility as part of its drug source investigation.

Concerns about the prevalence of drugs, particularly fentanyl, in LA County’s juvenile hall, have remained for many years. In May 2023, 18-year-old Brian Diaz passed away from a drug overdose at a safe youth treatment facility in Sylmer.

The incident comes months after the national and regional committees were ordered to amend the order last December to close Los Padrino, primarily due to staffing issues. The probation department has been struggling with a long-standing staffing crisis, as many of its executives refuse to come to work or stay on injured leave, citing Hall’s chaotic and violent circumstances.

The probation department ignored the BSCC’s order. This is a decision supported by the LA County Board of Supervisors. The probation department has appealed twice to the BSCC ruling, but the appeals were denied both times, including earlier this week, after Guillermoviera Rosa traveled to Sacramento to give a personal presentation earlier this week.

In an email to the Times, Waters noted that overdose cases and other recent controversies, including the case of a teenager stabbing last month, have nothing to do with the BSCC’s ruling on whether Ross Padrino is suitable for operations.

However, the BSCC does not have legal authority to enforce the order. General Rob Bonta refused to intervene. The board only deemed juvenile halls “inappropriate” to operate three times in history as “inappropriate”, but each of the halls that closed were in LA County. Los Padrinos had to close Barry J. Nidolph Boys Hall in Sylmer and Central Boys Hall in East LA, but reopened in 2023, but the Downey facility quickly became a scene of uncertainty.

Shortly after the department ignored the BSCC order last year, the office of LA County public defense attorneys asked the judge to publish 107 clients held in Los Padrinos, claiming it was unconstitutional to detain young people in facilities that the state deems unsafe. The Public Defender’s office asked the judge of Los Angeles County Judge Michael Espinoza to release some clients and lower the security camp, but Espinoza made the decision for several months. Another hearing is scheduled for April 18th.

All of the approximately 230 young people in Lospadrino have been in dispute cases, some due to violent crimes, including murder. Most are between 15 and 18 years old.

“The way this place is still open will blow my mind,” Gunsburg said.

Times staff writer Rebecca Ellis contributed to this report.

[ad_2]
Source link

Keep Reading

SOCAL Trio of Weather Risks: Extreme Heat, Fire Risk, Thunderstorm

In the tragedy that silenced the legend of the soul

California plague incident thought to be caused by South Lake Tahonai

A LA student seized by immigration agents says they spoke about the $1,500 payment

LA delays Palisades fire report at federal officials’ request

Don’t eat these potentially radioactive shrimp, the FDA warns

Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Urban nature of eastern LA

October 30, 2024

Urban nature of eastern LA

October 29, 2024

PHOTOS: Best moments from the East LA Classic

October 29, 2024

Dodgers fans take them to the city of East Los Angeles

October 28, 2024
Latest Posts

John Abravanel Berdugo

August 21, 2025

Gabriel Ricardez (GMONEY)

August 20, 2025

Genissa Reyes (Queen G)

August 20, 2025
Recent Posts
  • John Abravanel Berdugo
  • Gabriel Ricardez (GMONEY)
  • Genissa Reyes (Queen G)
  • Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. was deported to Mexico on cartel bonds and suspected drug trafficking
  • Texas Republicans move forward with plans to make plans after Democrats return home

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

Ads
Full-Width Advertisement
Advertisement
Ad
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Vimeo WhatsApp TikTok Instagram

East LA News

  • About Us
  • Local History
  • Elected Officials
  • Sheriff Station
  • Education & Schools
  • Health & Wellness
  • Community Services
  • Community Events in East LA
  • Cultural heritage
  • Transportation & Freeways
  • Whittier Boulevard
  • Lowrider Culture
  • Local Businesses in East LA
  • Cities Around East LA
  • Homelessness in East LA
  • Gang violance
  • Cannabis in East LA
  • Privacy Policy

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

    © 2024 eastla.news All rights reserved | Designed & Hosted By TheDomain.Store | TV- Radio- News Platform

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.