Close Menu
East LA News
  • Home
  • East Los Angeles
    • Health
    • Politics
      • US Senate News
    • Crime
      • LAPD News
      • LASO News
  • East LA Media
    • Chicano Power TV
    • East LA TV
    • Pachuco TV
    • Zoot Suit TV
    • Flokrico TV
    • Blaze It TV
    • East LA Radio.FM
    • Mariachis TV
    • Imapala For Sale
    • Chicano TV | Chicana TV
    • Chicano PhD
    • Chicano Comedy
  • Local News
  • Southern California
  • Other News
    • On The Tira News
    • LA Times
    • LA Weekly
  • Rehab
    • Discharge TV
    • Probation TV
    • Lifer TV
    • Parolee TV
  • Chicano Power TV
  • Contact Us
    • Advertise Here
    • Submit News
What's Hot

John Abravanel Berdugo

August 21, 2025

Gabriel Ricardez (GMONEY)

August 20, 2025

Genissa Reyes (Queen G)

August 20, 2025
Advertisment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Ad
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
East LA NewsEast LA News
Tuesday, February 17
  • Home
  • East Los Angeles
    • Health
    • Politics
      • US Senate News
    • Crime
      • LAPD News
      • LASO News
  • East LA Media
    • Chicano Power TV
    • East LA TV
    • Pachuco TV
    • Zoot Suit TV
    • Flokrico TV
    • Blaze It TV
    • East LA Radio.FM
    • Mariachis TV
    • Imapala For Sale
    • Chicano TV | Chicana TV
    • Chicano PhD
    • Chicano Comedy
  • Local News
  • Southern California
  • Other News
    • On The Tira News
    • LA Times
    • LA Weekly
  • Rehab
    • Discharge TV
    • Probation TV
    • Lifer TV
    • Parolee TV
  • Chicano Power TV
  • Contact Us
    • Advertise Here
    • Submit News
East LA News
Home»Local News

1980 Los Angeles Massacre perpetrator seeks reduced sentence – NBC Los Angeles

Artificial IntelligenceBy Artificial IntelligenceNovember 20, 2024Updated:December 1, 2024 Local News No Comments3 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

[ad_1]

Two men were convicted and sentenced to death for the infamous 1980 robbery and massacre in which employees and customers were locked in a freezer and shot in the back inside Bob’s Big Boy restaurant in Los Angeles. One of them has started a legal effort to keep him behind bars. Sentences may be commuted and once-convicted prisoners may be eligible for parole.

Ricardo Rene Sanders, 79, is seeking resentencing under a recent state law that allows judges to reconsider sentences for a variety of reasons, Los Angeles Superior Court records show.

“I can’t believe Congress intended this outcome,” said Harvey Guice, a now-retired prosecutor who tried cases against Sanders and two co-defendants in 1981 and 1982. .

The recidivism effort and a series of hearings earlier this year are documented in the court docket, but there are few filings that provide insight into the basis on which Sanders requested reductions, objections and support from prosecutors.

Sanders’ appointed attorney, the federal public defender’s office, has not filed any of the counterclaims listed in publicly available court documents and did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

But the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said in an email Wednesday that the office opposes Sanders’ efforts.

“We oppose the defense’s request for a life sentence with the possibility of parole,” the DA’s office said in a statement.

If Sanders’ sentence is commuted to life in prison with parole, he would likely be eligible for an immediate parole hearing because of his age, officials said.

The freezer murders occurred on December 14, 1980 at Bob’s Big Boy Restaurant on La Cienega Boulevard, which no longer exists.

Around 2 a.m., two men armed with shotguns and at least one handgun entered the building, saying, “It’s a jack, it’s a stickup,” according to court records.

The men locked two customers and nine employees in a freezer and stole cash, watches and jewelry before telling them to kneel against a wall.

“The two men then fired their guns into the back of the group until they ran out of ammunition. They then closed the freezer door and left,” the appellate court’s case summary states, adding that the men then fired their guns into the restaurant’s safe. He said he fled with about $1,300.

One customer and two employees (David Burrell, Dita Aghtani and Ahmad Mushuk) died at the scene.

Another employee, Cesario Luna, died several months later from a gunshot wound to the brain. Luna’s son, Ismael, also works as a busboy at the restaurant and witnessed his father being shot.

Four others suffered shotgun and gunshot wounds, some with debilitating wounds, but the remaining two were physically unharmed.

Los Angeles Police Department arrested Sanders, Franklin Freeman Jr. and Karlesa Stewart about a week after the robbery. Sanders’ defense has unsuccessfully challenged a number of appeals, as detectives said he was identified by survivors and other witnesses to the shooting.

Mr. Sanders was convicted of four counts of murder with special circumstances and sentenced to death.

Freeman was convicted and sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for his role in the murders.

Police said Stewart took part in the robbery plan, pleaded guilty to murder and was sentenced to life in prison.

A retrial hearing was scheduled for Friday at the Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center in downtown Los Angeles. However, the case was postponed by the court late Wednesday and will now be heard on January 22, 2024.

[ad_2]
Source link

Artificial Intelligence

Keep Reading

Research reveals how fat cells fuel breast cancer tumors – NBC Los Angeles

Laptop Thief picked up the item using a fake ID, QR code – NBC Los Angeles

LA Order Long Valley Valley Plaza Mall Building Demolition – NBC Los Angeles

US citizens explain the detention by federal agents at Montebello Towing Yard – NBC Los Angeles

Palisades Fire Post-Reports to be held – NBC Los Angeles

Trump says the Smithsonian is too focused on “How bad slavery is” – NBC Los Angeles

Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Urban nature of eastern LA

October 30, 2024

Urban nature of eastern LA

October 29, 2024

PHOTOS: Best moments from the East LA Classic

October 29, 2024

Dodgers fans take them to the city of East Los Angeles

October 28, 2024
Latest Posts

John Abravanel Berdugo

August 21, 2025

Gabriel Ricardez (GMONEY)

August 20, 2025

Genissa Reyes (Queen G)

August 20, 2025
Recent Posts
  • John Abravanel Berdugo
  • Gabriel Ricardez (GMONEY)
  • Genissa Reyes (Queen G)
  • Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. was deported to Mexico on cartel bonds and suspected drug trafficking
  • Texas Republicans move forward with plans to make plans after Democrats return home

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

Ads
Full-Width Advertisement
Advertisement
Ad
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Vimeo WhatsApp TikTok Instagram

East LA News

  • About Us
  • Local History
  • Elected Officials
  • Sheriff Station
  • Education & Schools
  • Health & Wellness
  • Community Services
  • Community Events in East LA
  • Cultural heritage
  • Transportation & Freeways
  • Whittier Boulevard
  • Lowrider Culture
  • Local Businesses in East LA
  • Cities Around East LA
  • Homelessness in East LA
  • Gang violance
  • Cannabis in East LA
  • Privacy Policy

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

    © 2024 eastla.news All rights reserved | Designed & Hosted By TheDomain.Store | TV- Radio- News Platform

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.