Close Menu
East LA News
  • Home
  • East Los Angeles
    • Health
    • Politics
      • US Senate News
    • Crime
      • LAPD News
      • LASO News
  • East LA Media
    • Chicano Power TV
    • East LA TV
    • Pachuco TV
    • Zoot Suit TV
    • Flokrico TV
    • Blaze It TV
    • East LA Radio.FM
    • Mariachis TV
    • Imapala For Sale
    • Chicano TV | Chicana TV
    • Chicano PhD
    • Chicano Comedy
  • Local News
  • Southern California
  • Other News
    • On The Tira News
    • LA Times
    • LA Weekly
  • Rehab
    • Discharge TV
    • Probation TV
    • Lifer TV
    • Parolee TV
  • Chicano Power TV
  • Contact Us
    • Advertise Here
    • Submit News
What's Hot

John Abravanel Berdugo

August 21, 2025

Gabriel Ricardez (GMONEY)

August 20, 2025

Genissa Reyes (Queen G)

August 20, 2025
Advertisment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Ad
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
East LA NewsEast LA News
Monday, February 16
  • Home
  • East Los Angeles
    • Health
    • Politics
      • US Senate News
    • Crime
      • LAPD News
      • LASO News
  • East LA Media
    • Chicano Power TV
    • East LA TV
    • Pachuco TV
    • Zoot Suit TV
    • Flokrico TV
    • Blaze It TV
    • East LA Radio.FM
    • Mariachis TV
    • Imapala For Sale
    • Chicano TV | Chicana TV
    • Chicano PhD
    • Chicano Comedy
  • Local News
  • Southern California
  • Other News
    • On The Tira News
    • LA Times
    • LA Weekly
  • Rehab
    • Discharge TV
    • Probation TV
    • Lifer TV
    • Parolee TV
  • Chicano Power TV
  • Contact Us
    • Advertise Here
    • Submit News
East LA News
Home»LA Times

A year later, a UCLA student arrested at the demonstration gets his phone back

By April 30, 2025 LA Times No Comments3 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

[ad_1]

For nearly a year, the UCLA Police Department has maintained the mobile phones of 40 UCLA students who were arrested at a massive demonstration at the war in Gaza last year.

Without a mobile phone, students faced extreme difficulties, according to lawyers from the National Lawyers Guild. At least one student lost her job when her employer couldn’t reach her, a student journalist at Daily Bruin said it made it difficult to report the newspaper and one student missed a shift in an internship. Some students had a hard time keeping in touch with their families, lawyers said.

On Monday, the university’s police department said it would return the phone to the student.

Deputy Police Chief Scott Scheffler wrote in an email to the era that the decision came from Atty, Los Angeles. Last week, the announcement of Hydee Fieldstein Soto announced that it had not filed charges against most UCLA and USC students arrested in April and May 2024.

“As of this morning, the phones are no longer retained as evidence,” writes Schaeffler. “Individuals who have not yet received their mobile phone will be notified and can book with our real estate units to do so.”

However, students only take two weeks from the date they receive written notice from the department to get a call before it is destroyed, said Cynthia Anderson Barker, lawyer for the Attorney Guild.

That’s the timeline she says she’s unfair to many students who don’t live in Los Angeles. She requested that the lawyer be allowed to collect calls on behalf of the student.

She said students must bring their ID and show proof that they own the phone. Also, if someone else wants to pick up the device, you will need a notarized letter.

The police department holds more than 3,000 items of evidence, and according to the department’s website, it has found that property and property are held for storage. In general, items stored as evidence are kept until the case is complete.

Santa Ana-based criminal defense attorney Sabrina Darwish said she and Anderson Barker began requesting calls from the police station after more than 40 students were arrested in UCLA’s parking lot on May 6th.

The lawsuit remained open, but no criminal charges were filed against the student.

In July, Darwish filed a motion with Los Angeles Superior Court to force the department to return the property. However, the claim has been denied due to the search warrant obtained, claiming that the phone was used to commit a felony and is part of an ongoing investigation.

Two months after the court hearing, Anderson Barker wrote to Feldstein Soto to ask students to return Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass and UCLA interim prime minister Darnell Hunt. Feldstein Soto’s office responded four days later, saying it had been decided to announce the property to the UCLA Police Department.

Orange County criminal defense attorney Hieu Vu said it is common for law enforcement to maintain key evidence in criminal cases for many years.

“A search warrant can justify holding property temporarily, but it does not allow for indefinite ownership,” he said. “A year’s hold where search warrants sound unusually long.”

The lawyers attorneys’ guild said they were frustrated trying to get the phone back to the students.

“We’ve never had that many pushbacks in both careers,” Darwish said. “They made it unnecessary.”

[ad_2]
Source link

Keep Reading

SOCAL Trio of Weather Risks: Extreme Heat, Fire Risk, Thunderstorm

In the tragedy that silenced the legend of the soul

California plague incident thought to be caused by South Lake Tahonai

A LA student seized by immigration agents says they spoke about the $1,500 payment

LA delays Palisades fire report at federal officials’ request

Don’t eat these potentially radioactive shrimp, the FDA warns

Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Urban nature of eastern LA

October 30, 2024

Urban nature of eastern LA

October 29, 2024

PHOTOS: Best moments from the East LA Classic

October 29, 2024

Dodgers fans take them to the city of East Los Angeles

October 28, 2024
Latest Posts

John Abravanel Berdugo

August 21, 2025

Gabriel Ricardez (GMONEY)

August 20, 2025

Genissa Reyes (Queen G)

August 20, 2025
Recent Posts
  • John Abravanel Berdugo
  • Gabriel Ricardez (GMONEY)
  • Genissa Reyes (Queen G)
  • Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. was deported to Mexico on cartel bonds and suspected drug trafficking
  • Texas Republicans move forward with plans to make plans after Democrats return home

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

Ads
Full-Width Advertisement
Advertisement
Ad
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Vimeo WhatsApp TikTok Instagram

East LA News

  • About Us
  • Local History
  • Elected Officials
  • Sheriff Station
  • Education & Schools
  • Health & Wellness
  • Community Services
  • Community Events in East LA
  • Cultural heritage
  • Transportation & Freeways
  • Whittier Boulevard
  • Lowrider Culture
  • Local Businesses in East LA
  • Cities Around East LA
  • Homelessness in East LA
  • Gang violance
  • Cannabis in East LA
  • Privacy Policy

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

    © 2024 eastla.news All rights reserved | Designed & Hosted By TheDomain.Store | TV- Radio- News Platform

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.