LONDON (AP) – British police on Friday charged Russell Brand with rape and sexual assault following an 18-month investigation.
London Metropolitan Police said the 50-year-old Brand faces two sexual assaults, one of rape, one of indecent assaults and one of oral rape.
Brand refused to be involved in “indifferent” sexual activities.
Four women were involved in the suspected crime, which took place between 1999 and 2005. One is the British seaside town of Bournemouth and three others from the Westminster area in central London.
Police said the investigation remained open and urged anyone with relevant information to contact the unit.
In September 2023, UK Media Outlet Channel 4 and the Sunday Times published allegations by four women that they had been sexually assaulted or raped by the brand. No accusers have been identified.
The comedian, author, and the actor who “takes him to Greek” were interviewed by police about allegations he denied.
In a video posted to X on Friday, the brand said, “I have never engaged in any activity that is not unique. I pray that by looking at my eyes I can see it.”
He added: “I have the opportunity to defend these charges in court now and am extremely grateful for that.”
Known for his unlimited, risky stand-up routines, the brand hosted shows on radio and television, wrote memoirs that illustrated the battles in drugs and alcohol, appeared in several Hollywood films, and was temporarily married to pop star Katy Perry between 2010 and 2012.
In recent years, the brand has largely disappeared from mainstream media, but has built up a massive online follow-up with videos that mix wellness and conspiracy theories. He recently said he had moved to the US.
The brand is scheduled to appear in London’s courthouse on May 2nd.
Jaswant Narwal of the UK Prosecutor’s Office said the prosecutor “has carefully considered the evidence after a police investigation into allegations that followed the broadcast of the Channel 4 documentary in September 2023.
“Russell Brand concluded that he should be charged with crimes such as rape, sexual assault and indecent assault,” Narwal said.
“The Crown Prosecutor’s Office reminds everyone that criminal cases are active and the defendants have the right to justice.”
In January, the BBC apologised to staff who felt they were unable to complain about the brand’s actions due to their celebrity status. The brand held two weekly radio shows on the BBC from 2006 to 2008, working on many short-term projects regularly.
The BBC has admitted in the past that it is clear that the presenter has been able to misuse his position.
Source link