Close Menu
East LA News
  • Home
  • East Los Angeles
    • Health
    • Politics
      • US Senate News
    • Crime
      • LAPD News
      • LASO News
  • East LA Media
    • Chicano Power TV
    • East LA TV
    • Pachuco TV
    • Zoot Suit TV
    • Flokrico TV
    • Blaze It TV
    • East LA Radio.FM
    • Mariachis TV
    • Imapala For Sale
    • Chicano TV | Chicana TV
    • Chicano PhD
    • Chicano Comedy
  • Local News
  • Southern California
  • Other News
    • On The Tira News
    • LA Times
    • LA Weekly
  • Rehab
    • Discharge TV
    • Probation TV
    • Lifer TV
    • Parolee TV
  • Chicano Power TV
  • Contact Us
    • Advertise Here
    • Submit News
What's Hot

John Abravanel Berdugo

August 21, 2025

Gabriel Ricardez (GMONEY)

August 20, 2025

Genissa Reyes (Queen G)

August 20, 2025
Advertisment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Ad
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
East LA NewsEast LA News
Sunday, February 22
  • Home
  • East Los Angeles
    • Health
    • Politics
      • US Senate News
    • Crime
      • LAPD News
      • LASO News
  • East LA Media
    • Chicano Power TV
    • East LA TV
    • Pachuco TV
    • Zoot Suit TV
    • Flokrico TV
    • Blaze It TV
    • East LA Radio.FM
    • Mariachis TV
    • Imapala For Sale
    • Chicano TV | Chicana TV
    • Chicano PhD
    • Chicano Comedy
  • Local News
  • Southern California
  • Other News
    • On The Tira News
    • LA Times
    • LA Weekly
  • Rehab
    • Discharge TV
    • Probation TV
    • Lifer TV
    • Parolee TV
  • Chicano Power TV
  • Contact Us
    • Advertise Here
    • Submit News
East LA News
Home»LA Times

Brothers Menendez fight against Dar Hochman’s opposition to new trial

By March 5, 2025 LA Times No Comments3 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

[ad_1]

LA County Dist. Atty. Nathan Hochmann is opposed to the Menendez brothers’ new trial, but the imprisoned brothers say they won’t try and ask for another opportunity to protect themselves in court.

The brothers were sentenced to life in prison without parole for the murder of their parents at the Beverly Hills mansion. Last year, the brothers’ defense team launched a new effort to free them by filing a habeas-protection petition claiming that new evidence strengthened allegations that the brothers had been sexually abused by their father.

However, last month, Hochman announced he was opposed to the new trial and urging the court to deny the petition.

Hochman said the murder was a matter of conviction, not a sexual abuse allegation. The brothers would have had the pressing fear that their parents would kill them about sexual abuse revelation for murder to be considered self-defense.

On Tuesday, Lyle Menendez wrote on social media that the brothers intend to challenge Hochman’s opposition to the trial.

“We submit a counterargument to his error-filled, misguided response to habeas. [corpus] Petition, and the fight will continue,” Lyle wrote.

In the first case, prosecutors argued that the murder was motivated by the boy’s desire to secure a $14 million inheritance, but the defense team claimed that they were acting in self-defense after years of sexual abuse by his father, Jose Menendez.

Attorneys now say they have new evidence, including letters written about sexual abuse that Eric Menendez endured as a teenager before committing the murder. The lawyer also points to a new claim raised by Roy Rosselló, a former member of the boys’ band Menudo.

Even if the brothers fail to overcome Hochman’s opposition to the new trial, they still have two more paths to gain their freedom. Gov. Gavin Newsom was able to grant to them generosity, and the judge replied to them and was able to quickly qualify for parole.

Hochmann said it would not prevent the judge from moving forward in the Res court.

The brothers’ resentment hearing was scheduled to take place from March 20th to 21st. However, this week it was announced that the hearing has been postponed to an unknown date.

Last week, Newsom directed the state parole board to launch a risk assessment investigation into whether Erik and Lyle Menendez are released pose an unreasonable risk to public safety.

“Everyone involved recognizes the importance of waiting for the results of a risk assessment, as started by Governor Newsom,” Lyle Menendez wrote on social media in response to the postponement of the hearing. “Be sure to hang down firmly, be patient and be patient.”

[ad_2]
Source link

Keep Reading

SOCAL Trio of Weather Risks: Extreme Heat, Fire Risk, Thunderstorm

In the tragedy that silenced the legend of the soul

California plague incident thought to be caused by South Lake Tahonai

A LA student seized by immigration agents says they spoke about the $1,500 payment

LA delays Palisades fire report at federal officials’ request

Don’t eat these potentially radioactive shrimp, the FDA warns

Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Urban nature of eastern LA

October 30, 2024

Urban nature of eastern LA

October 29, 2024

PHOTOS: Best moments from the East LA Classic

October 29, 2024

Dodgers fans take them to the city of East Los Angeles

October 28, 2024
Latest Posts

John Abravanel Berdugo

August 21, 2025

Gabriel Ricardez (GMONEY)

August 20, 2025

Genissa Reyes (Queen G)

August 20, 2025
Recent Posts
  • John Abravanel Berdugo
  • Gabriel Ricardez (GMONEY)
  • Genissa Reyes (Queen G)
  • Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. was deported to Mexico on cartel bonds and suspected drug trafficking
  • Texas Republicans move forward with plans to make plans after Democrats return home

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

Ads
Full-Width Advertisement
Advertisement
Ad
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Vimeo WhatsApp TikTok Instagram

East LA News

  • About Us
  • Local History
  • Elected Officials
  • Sheriff Station
  • Education & Schools
  • Health & Wellness
  • Community Services
  • Community Events in East LA
  • Cultural heritage
  • Transportation & Freeways
  • Whittier Boulevard
  • Lowrider Culture
  • Local Businesses in East LA
  • Cities Around East LA
  • Homelessness in East LA
  • Gang violance
  • Cannabis in East LA
  • Privacy Policy

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

    © 2024 eastla.news All rights reserved | Designed & Hosted By TheDomain.Store | TV- Radio- News Platform

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.