Close Menu
East LA News
  • Home
  • East Los Angeles
    • Health
    • Politics
      • US Senate News
    • Crime
      • LAPD News
      • LASO News
  • East LA Media
    • Chicano Power TV
    • East LA TV
    • Pachuco TV
    • Zoot Suit TV
    • Flokrico TV
    • Blaze It TV
    • East LA Radio.FM
    • Mariachis TV
    • Imapala For Sale
    • Chicano TV | Chicana TV
    • Chicano PhD
    • Chicano Comedy
  • Local News
  • Southern California
  • Other News
    • On The Tira News
    • LA Times
    • LA Weekly
  • Rehab
    • Discharge TV
    • Probation TV
    • Lifer TV
    • Parolee TV
  • Chicano Power TV
  • Contact Us
    • Advertise Here
    • Submit News
What's Hot

John Abravanel Berdugo

August 21, 2025

Gabriel Ricardez (GMONEY)

August 20, 2025

Genissa Reyes (Queen G)

August 20, 2025
Advertisment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Ad
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
East LA NewsEast LA News
Saturday, February 21
  • Home
  • East Los Angeles
    • Health
    • Politics
      • US Senate News
    • Crime
      • LAPD News
      • LASO News
  • East LA Media
    • Chicano Power TV
    • East LA TV
    • Pachuco TV
    • Zoot Suit TV
    • Flokrico TV
    • Blaze It TV
    • East LA Radio.FM
    • Mariachis TV
    • Imapala For Sale
    • Chicano TV | Chicana TV
    • Chicano PhD
    • Chicano Comedy
  • Local News
  • Southern California
  • Other News
    • On The Tira News
    • LA Times
    • LA Weekly
  • Rehab
    • Discharge TV
    • Probation TV
    • Lifer TV
    • Parolee TV
  • Chicano Power TV
  • Contact Us
    • Advertise Here
    • Submit News
East LA News
Home»Local News

California sues Trump administrator for blocking EV charging funds – NBC Los Angeles

By May 7, 2025 Local News No Comments4 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

[ad_1]

According to a federal lawsuit released Wednesday, 17 states suing President Donald Trump’s administration have withheld billions of dollars for building more electric vehicle chargers.

In February, the Trump administration directed the state to stop spending money on the electric vehicle charging infrastructure allocated under President Joe Biden. The EV Charger Program is set to allocate $500 million to various states over five years, of which an estimated $3.3 billion is already available.

The lawsuit, led by the Attorney Generals of California, Colorado and Washington, challenges the federal Highways Agency’s power to suspend funds. They argue that Congress, which approved the funds as part of the bipartisan infrastructure law in 2021, holds that power.

“These funds will be used to shape the future of transportation,” California Attorney General Rob Bonta said he has called Trump “myopia” to cancel the funds.

“We should not sit down while the Trump administration violates the law,” Democrat Bonta said. The U.S. Department of Transport did not immediately respond to requests for comment regarding the lawsuit.

According to MotionIntelligence.com, EVS reached around 8% of new car sales in the US last year. This is a sign that the market is growing. The program was intended to first ease some concerns, build infrastructure along highway corridors, and then address gaps elsewhere once state highway mandates were met.

Some states with projects running under the program are already being reimbursed by the Biden-era federal fund. Others still have contracts for their site. By the time the Trump administration ordered the states to stop their spending, many more had stopped plans. Anyway, installing and operating these chargers was a slow process with contractual challenges, delays and complicated electrical upgrades.

It was expected to fight federal efforts to slow the build-out of state electric vehicle chargers. For example, New York, part of the lawsuit, has been awarded more than $175 million in federal funds from the program, with state officials saying $120 million is currently being withheld by the Trump administration.

Even Tesla, an electric car maker run by Elon Musk, who led the Department of Efficiency efforts to reduce federal spending in Trump’s Department of Government Efficiency, has benefited heavily from fundraising under the program, receiving millions of dollars to expand the already rich charger footprint in the US

Despite the threat to the program, experts say they hope that the country’s EV charging build-out will continue as automakers try to do well with their massive electrification ambitions.

Consumers considering purchasing an EV often cite concerns about the availability of their charging infrastructure. It is a hurdle for people living in multifamily residences or rural areas, or what is known as “deterrent charging.” It’s also a problem for those who can’t find a place to charge their vehicles near work, or who often drive longer highway routes.

California’s Democratic government, Gavin Newsom, said the funds were illegal and would kill thousands of American jobs and hand them over to China.

“Instead of hawking Teslas on the White House lawn, President Trump was able to actually help Elon and the nation by following the law and freeing this bipartisan fund,” Newsom said, referring to Trump’s recent purchase of Tesla on the Musk Support Show.

The Trump administration’s efforts to withdraw funding for electric vehicle chargers are part of a wider push to roll back environmental policies under Biden.

During Trump’s first week in office, he signed an executive order to pull the US again from the Paris Climate Agreement, reversed the 2030 goal for electric vehicles, supplementing half of the new cars sold and ending environmental justice efforts. At the same time, federal agencies under Trump have repeatedly carried out key rules and regulations to help build the fossil fuel industry.

The US home also advanced last week a proposal aimed at blocking California from enforcing vehicle emissions rules, including a ban on the sale of new gas-powered vehicles by 2035.

[ad_2]
Source link

Keep Reading

Research reveals how fat cells fuel breast cancer tumors – NBC Los Angeles

Laptop Thief picked up the item using a fake ID, QR code – NBC Los Angeles

LA Order Long Valley Valley Plaza Mall Building Demolition – NBC Los Angeles

US citizens explain the detention by federal agents at Montebello Towing Yard – NBC Los Angeles

Palisades Fire Post-Reports to be held – NBC Los Angeles

Trump says the Smithsonian is too focused on “How bad slavery is” – NBC Los Angeles

Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Urban nature of eastern LA

October 30, 2024

Urban nature of eastern LA

October 29, 2024

PHOTOS: Best moments from the East LA Classic

October 29, 2024

Dodgers fans take them to the city of East Los Angeles

October 28, 2024
Latest Posts

John Abravanel Berdugo

August 21, 2025

Gabriel Ricardez (GMONEY)

August 20, 2025

Genissa Reyes (Queen G)

August 20, 2025
Recent Posts
  • John Abravanel Berdugo
  • Gabriel Ricardez (GMONEY)
  • Genissa Reyes (Queen G)
  • Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. was deported to Mexico on cartel bonds and suspected drug trafficking
  • Texas Republicans move forward with plans to make plans after Democrats return home

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

Ads
Full-Width Advertisement
Advertisement
Ad
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Vimeo WhatsApp TikTok Instagram

East LA News

  • About Us
  • Local History
  • Elected Officials
  • Sheriff Station
  • Education & Schools
  • Health & Wellness
  • Community Services
  • Community Events in East LA
  • Cultural heritage
  • Transportation & Freeways
  • Whittier Boulevard
  • Lowrider Culture
  • Local Businesses in East LA
  • Cities Around East LA
  • Homelessness in East LA
  • Gang violance
  • Cannabis in East LA
  • Privacy Policy

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

    © 2024 eastla.news All rights reserved | Designed & Hosted By TheDomain.Store | TV- Radio- News Platform

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.