If New York prosecutors give way, the embarrassing ex-George Santos could face more than seven years of prison.
Santos, 36, became the sixth House member to be expelled from the Chamber of Commerce and the First Republican Party, and pleaded guilty to federal fraud and identity theft charges in August as part of a plea deal after being charged with felony.
The former councillor stole from the politician, used campaign contributions to pay personal expenses, lied to Congress about his wealth while he was working, and collected unemployment benefits.
Former US Rep. George Santos arrives at court in central Islip, New York on August 19, 2024 (AP Photo/Stefan Elemia)
George Santos will end the Congressional run within two months of his independence campaign
“No matter how hard the DOJ comes for me, they’re angry because they’ll never break my spirit,” Santos posted Friday in the wake of a court filing by the US Attorney for the Eastern District of New York.
Santos had already agreed to serve in prison for a minimum of two years and was expected to be sentenced in February, but he called for the sentence to be postponed until he could earn enough money from the podcast, paying the nearly $600,000 owed to compensation and forfeiture.
Prosecutors claim they raked around $800,000 from their appearance on the cameo app, and previous reports suggest that they are charging $350 pop for a video featuring Drug Atar Ego Kitara Lavash. Santos previously refused to dress as a drag queen or work with Drug Queens.
Prosecutors filed Friday, claiming that Santos justified a key sentence for his “unparalleled crime” to “create ock laughs” in the country’s electoral system.
“From the creation of his completely fictional biographies to his ruthless theft from older people and disabled donors, Santos’ unlimited greed and greedy appetite for fame allowed him to misuse the very system we choose to represent,” the agency writes.
Prosecutors alleged that Santos had raked him up as a previous cross-dressing persona for about $800,000 from his cameo app appearance. (Joe Raedle/Getty Images/x @mrantosny)
Former lawmaker George Santos offers cameo videos with the alter ego of a drag queen
They wrote that he had not repented for years and condemned the investigation into his crime as a “witch hunt.”
They also made claims of regret after admitting guilty “Ring Hollow,” suggesting that he “is likely to attack again” given that he has not confiscated any fraudulent benefits or paid off the victim.
The lawyers argue that such a ruling coincides with those handed over to other politicians facing similar financial crimes as former US Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr.
Santos legal team demanded a two-year sentence in court filings Friday. His lawyer, Andrew Manchila, said the prosecutor was selling the false stories to the court.
“The government wants headlines rather than justice. This vindictive 87-month demand ignores sentencing standards in similar cases,” Mansila said.
The freshman lawmaker was expelled for a year in his first term at home, discovering that he misused campaign funds with gorgeous items and only ones. He was not convicted of a crime at the time.
If New York prosecutors give way, the embarrassing ex-George Santos could face more than seven years of prison. (Annabel Gordon/Bloomberg via Getty Images)
Click here to get the Fox News app
During the campaign, Santos claimed he attended New York University and worked for Goldman Sachs and Citigroup, claiming that his grandparents fled the Nazis during World War II. None of these claims were true.
Santos was once touted as a rising political star after turning over the suburban districts that cover the wealthy North Shore of Long Island and the Queens borough slices of New York City in 2022.
Last year he refused to resume his political career by running independently in nearby areas to re-enter the home.
Fox News’ Stepheny Price and Anders Hagstrom, the Associated Press and Reuters contributed to the report.
Michael Dorgan is a writer for Fox News Digital and Fox Business.
You can submit tips to Michael.dorgan@fox.com and follow him on Twitter @M_Dorgan.
Source link