President Donald Trump has announced an unprecedented wave of tariffs on imports into the US and marked the week, working together in line with his longstanding position as other countries use the US.
Trump revealed historic tariffs at a ceremony for the “American Affluent Again” event at the White House Rose Garden, claiming that these new obligations would create new jobs for American workers.
“For countries that treat us badly, we calculate the total rate of all tariffs, non-financial barriers and other fraudulent behavior,” Trump said Wednesday.
“And we’re so kind that we’ve charged about half of what they’re and charged us,” he said. “So the tariffs wouldn’t be completely reciprocal. I could have done that. Yes, but that would be difficult for many countries.”
Let’s take a closer look at Trump’s tariff plans: What you need to know about the new obligation
The tariff plan sets a 10% baseline tax on all imports into the US and a customized tariff in the country that places high tariffs on American goods. The 10% baseline tariff will come into effect on Saturday, while other tariffs will come into effect on Wednesday.
The Trump administration previously imposed a 25% tariff on imported vehicles, up to 25% tariff on certain goods from Mexico and Canada, and a 20% tariff on shipments from China. According to the White House, tariffs already imposed on Canada and Mexico remain unaffected, but China’s new tariffs will be added in addition to Beijing’s previous obligations.
President Donald Trump during the “American Wealthy Again” event at the Rose Garden in the White House on April 2, 2025 (Washington Post via Demetrius Freeman/Getty Images)
Tariffs face rebound from both Congressional parties and allies, including Canada and Australia. A bipartisan group of senators has introduced a law called the 2025 Trade Review Act. Similarly, the measure allows tariffs to expire after 60 days unless Congress moves to approve a joint resolution codified the obligation.
Treasury Secretary Scott Becent urged the country to impose retaliatory tariffs against the United States accordingly.
“My advice to all countries now: don’t retaliate,” Bescent said in an interview with Fox News on Wednesday. “If you retaliate, there’s escalation.”
Trump confirms National Security Council fire as Waltz signal chat is snowballed
That happened again this week.
National Security Council fires
Trump also revealed that several members of the National Security Council, led by national security adviser Mike Waltz, were fired Thursday. Trump said the shootings have affected a small number of employees and he still has a high level of trust in his national security team.
“At any time, we’re going to let go of people we don’t like or people who think we can do work that could be loyal to someone else,” Trump told Air Force 1 reporters when asked about media coverage of the shooting.
The shooting comes amid scrutiny of Waltz’s use of signal group chat to discuss the Yemeni strike after journalists were accidentally added to the group.
Waltz created a group chat that includes White House leaders like Vice President J.D. Vance and Secretary of Defense. The chat also included Atlantic Editor-in-Chief Jeffrey Goldberg.
National Security Advisor Mike Waltz and Defense Secretary Pete Hegses will be standing for President Donald Trump to meet French President Emmanuel Macron in February. (Reuters/Brian Snyder)
The White House said the classified information was not shared via encrypted messaging services. However, the Atlantic released a full exchange of messages on March 26th. The message included details of a particular attack, including specific aircraft and strike times.
Still, the White House defended the Waltz and said the White House is no longer considering the case.
Musk hasn’t left yet, once he puts the job together on a schedule saying, “The incredible job at Doge is perfect”: White House
“The president made it so clear that Mike Waltz continues to be an important part of his national security team,” White House press chief Curry Levitt told reporters Monday. “And this incident is now closed here at the White House as far as we are concerned.”
Musk’s dogge status
The White House has confirmed that SpaceX and Tesla CEO Elon Musk will be leaving his position later this spring, spearheading the Department of Government Efficiency (Doge) in response to reports that Trump has revealed to those close to him that he will “step” from his role in Doge in the coming weeks.
Elon Musk arrives for President Donald Trump’s speech at the Congressional Joint Congress at the U.S. Capitol in Washington on March 4, 2025 (Saul Loeb/AFP via Getty Images)
“This ‘scoop’ is garbage,” Leavitt posted on X on Wednesday. “Elon Musk and President Trump have publicly stated that Elon would leave public service as special government officials when his incredible work at Doge is completed.”
Click here to get the Fox News app
Musk is a “special government employee.” The Enforcement or Legislative Division is permitted to compete with temporary employees to deal with short-term projects of up to 130 days in 365 days. In the case of musk, that period expires at the end of May.
Musk and Trump previously said they expected Mask to complete the work that Doge needs inside the window of that time.
Emma Colton from Fox News contributed to this report.
Diana Stancy is a political reporter for Fox News Digital, covering the White House.
Source link