Close Menu
East LA News
  • Home
  • East Los Angeles
    • Health
    • Politics
      • US Senate News
    • Crime
      • LAPD News
      • LASO News
  • East LA Media
    • Chicano Power TV
    • East LA TV
    • Pachuco TV
    • Zoot Suit TV
    • Flokrico TV
    • Blaze It TV
    • East LA Radio.FM
    • Mariachis TV
    • Imapala For Sale
    • Chicano TV | Chicana TV
    • Chicano PhD
    • Chicano Comedy
  • Local News
  • Southern California
  • Other News
    • On The Tira News
    • LA Times
    • LA Weekly
  • Rehab
    • Discharge TV
    • Probation TV
    • Lifer TV
    • Parolee TV
  • Chicano Power TV
  • Contact Us
    • Advertise Here
    • Submit News
What's Hot

John Abravanel Berdugo

August 21, 2025

Gabriel Ricardez (GMONEY)

August 20, 2025

Genissa Reyes (Queen G)

August 20, 2025
Advertisment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Ad
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
East LA NewsEast LA News
Sunday, February 22
  • Home
  • East Los Angeles
    • Health
    • Politics
      • US Senate News
    • Crime
      • LAPD News
      • LASO News
  • East LA Media
    • Chicano Power TV
    • East LA TV
    • Pachuco TV
    • Zoot Suit TV
    • Flokrico TV
    • Blaze It TV
    • East LA Radio.FM
    • Mariachis TV
    • Imapala For Sale
    • Chicano TV | Chicana TV
    • Chicano PhD
    • Chicano Comedy
  • Local News
  • Southern California
  • Other News
    • On The Tira News
    • LA Times
    • LA Weekly
  • Rehab
    • Discharge TV
    • Probation TV
    • Lifer TV
    • Parolee TV
  • Chicano Power TV
  • Contact Us
    • Advertise Here
    • Submit News
East LA News
Home»LA Times

Los Angeles will stop accepting new applicants for Section 8

By March 6, 2025 LA Times No Comments3 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

[ad_1]

Los Angeles city housing authorities have suspended acceptance of new applicants for the Section 8 voucher program, which subsidizes rent for tens of thousands of tenants in the city.

The federally funded local government said it had made the move because it didn’t expect Congress to provide enough cash to maintain its current business this year.

For now, housing authorities have only suspended new applications. Currently, those with Section 8 vouchers are not affected and rent subsidies will continue, but may ultimately be knocked off.

“We are trying to ensure we are doing everything possible to avoid that happening,” said Rurudes Castro Ramirez, chief executive of housing authorities.

Named after the Federal Housing Act section, Section 8 program is one of the most powerful tools in the US government to keep rental housing affordable and combat overcrowding and homelessness.

It is funded in federal dollars but is managed by local governments. In Los Angeles, approximately 60,000 families use Section 8 vouchers to pay rent. Generally on private property.

Tenants typically pay 30% of their income on rent, with federal grants supplementing the remaining payments to landlords.

As rents tend to rise every year, housing authorities need to ensure that their annual budget increases by a certain amount to maintain their current business.

However, federal funds are expected to expire on March 14th, with the Trump administration and Congressional Republicans looking to reduce the size of their government.

Carlos VanNutter, director of the LA Housing Authority’s Section 8 Program, said proposals from the House and Senate are expected to not be enough to keep up with obligations, leading to an annual shortfall, and are expected to range from $48 million to $144 million.

Housing authorities across the country face similar issues, but Los Angeles’ fundraising issues have gotten worse. Last year, under the Biden administration, the U.S. Housing and Urban Development Agency regained a $38 million reserve from authorities as it provided funding to local local communities at the time.

HUD did not immediately respond to requests for comment, but Van Natter said he estimated that his agency’s worst predictions coming out of Congress would have to cancel vouchers for the 6,000 households currently using them.

Van Nutter decided that his agency would work with federal agencies to suspend new applicants as a first step to minimizing the impact on both tenants and landlords and reducing the shortfall, but he had no estimates on how much the lawsuit would save.

There are 2,900 households in the middle of the Section 8 application process, with some currently not receiving vouchers, and some 400 households that apply to several other small programs for homeless individuals who have also suspended housing authorities.

Also, the additional 24,000 households on the waiting list in Section 8 cannot advance in the process.

Some voucher programs were not suspended, including specially intended for homeless veterans and special types of Section 8 vouchers that can only be used on certain properties.

People with traditional Section 8 vouchers who have yet to find a place to live are also not seen change and can continue to watch with their subsidies.

Castro Ramirez has called on Congress to provide more resources so that authorities can resume applications and endanger further reductions.

“The economic and human impact of these funding gaps cannot be overstated,” she said. “Los Angeles has seen an increase in housing instability, affecting thousands of families, property owners and the wider community.”

[ad_2]
Source link

Keep Reading

SOCAL Trio of Weather Risks: Extreme Heat, Fire Risk, Thunderstorm

In the tragedy that silenced the legend of the soul

California plague incident thought to be caused by South Lake Tahonai

A LA student seized by immigration agents says they spoke about the $1,500 payment

LA delays Palisades fire report at federal officials’ request

Don’t eat these potentially radioactive shrimp, the FDA warns

Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Urban nature of eastern LA

October 30, 2024

Urban nature of eastern LA

October 29, 2024

PHOTOS: Best moments from the East LA Classic

October 29, 2024

Dodgers fans take them to the city of East Los Angeles

October 28, 2024
Latest Posts

John Abravanel Berdugo

August 21, 2025

Gabriel Ricardez (GMONEY)

August 20, 2025

Genissa Reyes (Queen G)

August 20, 2025
Recent Posts
  • John Abravanel Berdugo
  • Gabriel Ricardez (GMONEY)
  • Genissa Reyes (Queen G)
  • Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. was deported to Mexico on cartel bonds and suspected drug trafficking
  • Texas Republicans move forward with plans to make plans after Democrats return home

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

Ads
Full-Width Advertisement
Advertisement
Ad
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Vimeo WhatsApp TikTok Instagram

East LA News

  • About Us
  • Local History
  • Elected Officials
  • Sheriff Station
  • Education & Schools
  • Health & Wellness
  • Community Services
  • Community Events in East LA
  • Cultural heritage
  • Transportation & Freeways
  • Whittier Boulevard
  • Lowrider Culture
  • Local Businesses in East LA
  • Cities Around East LA
  • Homelessness in East LA
  • Gang violance
  • Cannabis in East LA
  • Privacy Policy

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

    © 2024 eastla.news All rights reserved | Designed & Hosted By TheDomain.Store | TV- Radio- News Platform

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.