Close Menu
East LA News
  • Home
  • East Los Angeles
    • Health
    • Politics
      • US Senate News
    • Crime
      • LAPD News
      • LASO News
  • East LA Media
    • Chicano Power TV
    • East LA TV
    • Pachuco TV
    • Zoot Suit TV
    • Flokrico TV
    • Blaze It TV
    • East LA Radio.FM
    • Mariachis TV
    • Imapala For Sale
    • Chicano TV | Chicana TV
    • Chicano PhD
    • Chicano Comedy
  • Local News
  • Southern California
  • Other News
    • On The Tira News
    • LA Times
    • LA Weekly
  • Rehab
    • Discharge TV
    • Probation TV
    • Lifer TV
    • Parolee TV
  • Chicano Power TV
  • Contact Us
    • Advertise Here
    • Submit News
What's Hot

John Abravanel Berdugo

August 21, 2025

Gabriel Ricardez (GMONEY)

August 20, 2025

Genissa Reyes (Queen G)

August 20, 2025
Advertisment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Ad
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
East LA NewsEast LA News
Thursday, February 19
  • Home
  • East Los Angeles
    • Health
    • Politics
      • US Senate News
    • Crime
      • LAPD News
      • LASO News
  • East LA Media
    • Chicano Power TV
    • East LA TV
    • Pachuco TV
    • Zoot Suit TV
    • Flokrico TV
    • Blaze It TV
    • East LA Radio.FM
    • Mariachis TV
    • Imapala For Sale
    • Chicano TV | Chicana TV
    • Chicano PhD
    • Chicano Comedy
  • Local News
  • Southern California
  • Other News
    • On The Tira News
    • LA Times
    • LA Weekly
  • Rehab
    • Discharge TV
    • Probation TV
    • Lifer TV
    • Parolee TV
  • Chicano Power TV
  • Contact Us
    • Advertise Here
    • Submit News
East LA News
Home»LA Times

Menendez brothers’ lawyers say politics is in the way of their release

By April 1, 2025 LA Times No Comments5 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

[ad_1]

Atty, Los Angeles County. Nathan Hochman’s move to stymie a bid for freedom from Eric and Lyle Menendez is motivated by political self-interest, ignoring the facts of the case, the brothers’ lawyers argue in a new court application.

Hochman’s predecessor, George Gascón, sought responsiveness to his siblings in 1989 in the shotgun murder of his parents. Before losing to Hochman in the November election, Gascon asked the judge to withdraw Mendendes’ life sentence without the possibility of parole.

He urged them to be given to 50 years of life. They were youthful criminals 18 and 21, so when they shot and killed Jose and Kitty Menendez at their Beverly Hills home, res Tinsensing could qualify them for parole and lead to their freedom in 30 years of prison.

Since Hochman took over as district attorney, he opposed the brothers to go to a new trial and filed a motion last month to withdraw Gascon’s request for responsiveness.

Hochman said he even claimed that the murder was committed by the mafia when his brothers filed his allegations that they repeatedly lied about the crime. He questioned whether their claims of self-defense were valid. The siblings claim they are the subject of years of sexual and emotional abuse by their parents.

Hochman said the brothers had not demonstrated “full insight and acceptance of responsibility” for their crimes, and the previous prosecutor’s team ignored important violations of rules in prison.

The brothers’ lawyers, led by Mark Jelagos and Cliff Gardner, portray Hochman’s actions as motivated by politics rather than legal reasoning, as case law requires.

“The question here is whether the record indicates a decision to withdraw the request for restinning is based on “justice reasons,” they write.

They point to the reallocation of Hochman, Nancy Zaberge and Brock Lansford, two prosecutors who worked with Gascon in the Menendez move and recommended that the brothers be released. Hochman has appointed private attorney Kathy Caddy as head of the DA’s victim services division. Caddy represented only Menendez’s relatives to express his opposition to resentment to his brother. Her client, Milton Anderson, was the brother of Kitty Menendez and later passed away.

The defense attorney says Hockman is trying to rewrite history.

“The withdrawal claim contains serious facts and legal errors,” the lawyer wrote.

Hochman, the defense team points out, said, “We’re continuing to focus on falsehoods.” [the brothers] It was spoken in the aftermath of the crime, and even at the 1993 and 1996 trials. The defense admits that the pair “stroke to lie and create evidence,” but 30 years later, they’ve come closer to the crime.

In 1989, the Menendez brothers bought a shotgun with cash, stepped into their Beverly Hills mansion, shooting their parents while watching a movie in the family’s living room. Jose Menendez was hit five times, while Kitty Menendez raw across the floor and injured him. Prosecutors on trial argued that the murder was motivated by millions of dollars of inheritance, but the defense argued that it was a form of self-defense after years of sexual abuse by his father.

The allegations to withdraw Hochman’s resententenging request mean that Erik, 54, and Lyle, 57, “pose an unfair risk of danger to the community,” their lawyers say, but “doesn’t mention that they have achieved the lowest felony risk assessment score – Zero.” They further say that the rules violations mentioned by the DA are trivial and have been made in prison over decades.

Hochman cited Gov. Gavin Newsom’s decision to deny Silhan Silhan parole in the 1968 murder of Robert F. Kennedy, saying that the Menendez brothers’ lack of insight into crime was comparable to RFK’s killers.

However, Geragos and his brother’s legal team say Silhan has been flip-floping about his guilt for many years and claims he is innocent while in prison. But Menendez has owned the crime since their conviction, their lawyers said, citing a quote in a 1996 interview with Barbara Walters.

The brothers’ lawyers repeatedly pointed out that around 30 members of the family support their release, claiming that Hochman misunderstood what the two trials of Eric and Lyle Menendez are, “both the prosecution and the defense have admitted that the issue of sexual abuse is central to the entire case.”

Ententenging is just one of three routes that siblings seek freedom. They are pursuing a new trial, citing new evidence. A letter written to his cousin by one of them before the murder detailing the abuse, and an allegation by another man who said he was sexually abused by Jose Menendez, a former member of the boy band Menudo.

They are also pursuing tolerance with Newsom, who directed the State Parole Board to begin a risk assessment of whether the Menendez brothers pose an irrational risk to the public if released. It will be the first step in their bid for tolerance.

He said that if the brothers were tolerated and ultimately received a parole hearing, he would oppose their release.

[ad_2]
Source link

Keep Reading

SOCAL Trio of Weather Risks: Extreme Heat, Fire Risk, Thunderstorm

In the tragedy that silenced the legend of the soul

California plague incident thought to be caused by South Lake Tahonai

A LA student seized by immigration agents says they spoke about the $1,500 payment

LA delays Palisades fire report at federal officials’ request

Don’t eat these potentially radioactive shrimp, the FDA warns

Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Urban nature of eastern LA

October 30, 2024

Urban nature of eastern LA

October 29, 2024

PHOTOS: Best moments from the East LA Classic

October 29, 2024

Dodgers fans take them to the city of East Los Angeles

October 28, 2024
Latest Posts

John Abravanel Berdugo

August 21, 2025

Gabriel Ricardez (GMONEY)

August 20, 2025

Genissa Reyes (Queen G)

August 20, 2025
Recent Posts
  • John Abravanel Berdugo
  • Gabriel Ricardez (GMONEY)
  • Genissa Reyes (Queen G)
  • Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. was deported to Mexico on cartel bonds and suspected drug trafficking
  • Texas Republicans move forward with plans to make plans after Democrats return home

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

Ads
Full-Width Advertisement
Advertisement
Ad
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Vimeo WhatsApp TikTok Instagram

East LA News

  • About Us
  • Local History
  • Elected Officials
  • Sheriff Station
  • Education & Schools
  • Health & Wellness
  • Community Services
  • Community Events in East LA
  • Cultural heritage
  • Transportation & Freeways
  • Whittier Boulevard
  • Lowrider Culture
  • Local Businesses in East LA
  • Cities Around East LA
  • Homelessness in East LA
  • Gang violance
  • Cannabis in East LA
  • Privacy Policy

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

    © 2024 eastla.news All rights reserved | Designed & Hosted By TheDomain.Store | TV- Radio- News Platform

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.