Education Secretary Linda McMahon made unexpected remarks in a nonpartisan spirit at a House Democrat press conference on Wednesday, but she didn’t respond when she pushed the timing of the bitch who shut the door.
McMahon stopped by a Democrat press conference outside the building for the Department of Education. She has pledged to dismantle President Donald Trump’s recent executive order. In advance, she met with Rep. Mark Tankano (D-Calif) with at least 10 other Democrats to discuss concerns about the recent layoffs. The division announced last month that it began cutting force missions, affecting almost 50% of its workforce.
“I want to express my gratitude to all of these people who came today, so I want to be able to have an open discussion about what we can do in our country, and what we believe is education for young people,” McMahon said Wednesday. “As the representative Tankano said when we were closing the meeting, I thought this was incredibly appropriate. It’s not a partisan issue. It’s about American children, and the next generation that followed.
Linda McMahon says the Trump administration won’t punish states that refuse to adopt school choices
Education Secretary Linda McMahon will attend the International Women’s Courage Awards Ceremony held at the State Department in Washington, DC on April 1, 2025 (Brendan Smialowski/AFP via Getty Images)
“And I believe the president also believes this. The best education is that it’s the best way to do it for it to be that it’s a local supervisor who is the child and the parents, and that local school boards work to develop the curriculum for those students,” she said. “Funding from the US government continues through already established programs. I look forward to continuing to work with Congress members on both sides of the aisle, and I welcome these people to come today and express their concerns, share, share, share, and how they can guide their concerns.
As McMahon concluded his remarks and tried to return the event to the Democrats, Tankano interfered with the secretary’s questioning.
“When will this building be closed?” he asked her in front of the news camera.
“Well, we’ve already been discussing, so thank you guys,” McMahon said. He left the podium and returned to the building.
It will be held in Leesburg, Virginia on Thursday, March 13, 2025 at Mark Takano, D-Calif, House Democrats 2025 Issed Conference in The Lansdowne Resort.
Ministry of Education was significantly dismantled by a new Trump executive order
“As you can see, when she closes the Ministry of Education, she hasn’t answered any questions,” Tankano told reporters. “Now she has no plans. And she has no plans, but they continue to look at firing people, giving back the power cuts and turning it around.”
Tankano told reporters during their meeting that McMahon had expressed “ambiguity” about when she would make Trump’s campaign promise to close the Department of Education. He said she vowed to consult appropriate laws.
Tankano also said McMahon at a Senate confirmation hearing that he would consult Congress when she was lit up for the department.
Congress established the Ministry of Education in 1979, and in most cases it must approve the dismantling. Republicans have surfaced the law to achieve that goal.
Education Secretary Linda McMahon will speak with reporters at the White House in Washington, DC on Thursday, March 20, 2025 (AP Photo/Ben Curtis)
Trump signed the executive order on March 20th, expanding the division significantly while maintaining some of its core functions. It was unclear whether the department would continue to manage its $1.6 trillion federal student loan portfolio, as the language of orders allows banking capabilities to be transferred to better entities. Privacy appears to remain on the table for the administration.
Click here to get the Fox News app
“I have to say that the secretary has shown multiple times that she was carefully searching for what the law could do for her before moving department functions to other departments and elsewhere,” Tankano said Wednesday. “It’s refreshing information that the secretary relayed to us all, and we certainly hope she sticks to what she said to us today.”
“I think part of today’s story is something you know, [the] The president’s campaign to close the sector is a lot of fluff. the. It can’t, that’s illegal. He cannot do that by law,” he added.
Daniel Wallace is a news and political reporter for Fox News Digital. Story tips can be sent to danielle.wallace@fox.com and to X:@danimwallace.
Source link