First Fox: The Trump administration has set new prerequisites for Harvard to fight anti-Semitism in exchange for access to federal funds.
In a letter to Harvard President Dean Gerber, senior administration officials argued that Harvard University has “fundamentally failed to protect American students and faculty from anti-Semitic violence and harassment” by violating civil rights laws.
“U.S. taxpayers invest significant investments in US universities, including Harvard,” a letter signed by Josh Groenbaum, commissioner of federal acquisition services at the General Services Agency (GSA). Sean Quevenny, acting advisor to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). And said Thomas Wheeler, acting advisor to the Department of Education (ED).
“It is the government’s responsibility to ensure that all recipients are liable for the taxpayer fund,” reads a memo obtained by Fox News Digital.
The letter stated that Harvard University must ban the use of masks that can hide their identity in protests and establish a clear “time, place, and method” policy for protests. Harvard also needs to eliminate all diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) programs, adopt “met-based” admission and employment reforms, and terminate admissions based on race or national origins.
Trump will cut Colombia’s more than $400 million grants over anti-Semitism concerns.
The Trump administration has called for crackdowns against pro-Gaza protests that turn into Harvard’s anti-Semitic and pro-Hamas territory. (Reuters/Brian Snyder)
According to the letter, universities must commit to “full cooperation” with the Department of Homeland Security and all other agencies of the government.
Harvard also said it must review and change programs and sectors that “burn anti-Semitic harassment” and work with law enforcement. It must ensure that all unrecognized and unrecognized students are liable for policy violations and that senior administrative authorities are liable for disciplinary decisions.
Three federal agencies, the HHS, GSA and ED, published a review of approximately $8 billion in “multi-year grants” as part of an investigation launched by the Federal Task Force to combat anti-Semitism last week.
The review also includes a contract worth around $255 million.
“The message is clear. Reform is not an option,” the task force told Fox News Digital when it reached the comments.
“The era of elite immunity is over. With billions of taxpayer dollars at risk, Harvard risks facing its institutional failure, including its inability to protect its students from anti-Semitic abuse,” he said.
The university could not immediately contact the request for comment.
Trump College crackdown: List of students detained amid anti-Semitism on campus
A few weeks ago, the Trump administration raised more than $400 million in funding from Columbia University, demanding changes to its disciplinary policy, and putting several programs under administrative control.
Columbia acquiesced to many of the institutional demand trio that spurred backlash from liberal critics, and the university replaced interim president Katrina Armstrong.
The university’s board of trustees called the new changes “a Colombia-led decision in accordance with our values and mission,” denied the cave to the administration.
“I believe constructive dialogue makes sense when this work coincides with others’ recommendations,” the councillor wrote.
Meanwhile, the Trump administration targets international students studying at US universities and participating in Gaza protests.
The views of Harvard Yard’s protest camp. The “liberated zone” had several indications that denounced the genocide and called for a sale from Israel. (Nikolas Lanum/Fox News Digital)
Harvard is already beginning to prepare for the possibility of funds being taken away. (AP)
Trump signed an executive order on January 30th to “fight an explosion of anti-Semitism on campus and on the streets” since October 7, 2023, and since then the State Department has revoked about 300 visas.
“The reason you’re going to enter the US and apply for a visa to become a student and come to the US is not just because you want to write OP-EDS, but because you want to take part in moves like destroying universities, harassing students, taking over buildings, creating a turmoil. Madman, I’m taking their visas.”
Dean Hopi E. Hawkstra, director of the Harvard Department of Arts and Sciences, said this week that the department is working on a contingency plan in the case of federal funding.
Click here to get the Fox News app
“I know this news is very confused and difficult to handle,” Hawkstra said, according to Harvard Crimson. “There are some important tasks that only we can do now: maintain the continuity of our education and research mission.”
Harvard University and Columbia were among the 10 universities that the task force said were reviewing. Harvard has already enacted employment freezes in response to reviews, taking into account the uncertain financial environment.
Source link