[ad_1]

Last year, the number of unsheltered homelessness has declined for the second year in a row in most of Los Angeles County, homeless officials reported Wednesday.
Bolstered by a positive trend in the annual homeless count, the Los Angeles Department of Homeless Services has released a preview predicting a 5% to 10% decline when a full statistical analysis is completed in the coming months.
Lahsa CEO Va Lecia Adams Kellum said the results focus on getting people out of the streets in the two years she has led her agency.
“We’re working on something,” she said during a briefing with the era. “We say it will take about three years for unsheltered homeless people to go down.
A rough count, based on observations by thousands of volunteers who canvas the county’s streets last month, showed that 900 fewer people were seen on the streets and 2,700 fewer vehicles and housing.
The final result expected to be ready by the end of spring or early summer probably shows a larger numerical drop after adjustments have been made for the estimated number of people occupying each vehicle, tent, or shelter. Lahsa officials said they are confident that the decline will be at least 5% based on previous years adjustments.
The expected decline is comparable to last year, when the roughly reduced count by around 4,000.
This number reflects most of the counties except Long Beach, Pasadena and Glendale, with separate counts being conducted. Officials did not break another number for the city of LA
LAHSA officials released early snapshots of the data during a turbulent public debate about the performance and future of co-craftsman agencies created by the city and county to manage homeless funds created by the city and county in the 1990s. With hundreds of millions of dollars of voter-approved tax injections, Lahasa has grown rapidly in recent years to a business worth around $100 million a year.
Recent audits by cities, counties and external companies held through federal court cases have resulted in insufficient contract procedures and financial management.
Los Angeles County Supervisor Lindsay Hovas introduced a motion to dissolve the agency and created a new county department that will take over contracts for the Lahasa and county funding program.
During the briefing, Adams Kellam refused to take the position of the proposal. This led Rahasa to take responsibility for the urban funding program, the annual Homeless Count and the homeless database.
She appealed for thoughtful management of all changes.
“We think of what this is, so we believe that a vision for a Joint City County on Homelessness, where their authority is sitting, how to divide the funds, that we must remain,” she said.
She also repeated the well-stated response of taking on agency leadership knowing there was a problem and knowing that it was working on them.
Two things could be possible at the same time, she said. Lahsa has problems and can be fixed.
[ad_2]Source link


